[SI-LIST] impedance for 10-mile pipe at 120Hz, skin effect

  • From: "aballe73" <aballe73@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:51:13 -0000

Dear SI experts,

First of all, I should say that I am a chemist (no familiar with SI
or very complex circuits). However, I think you can help me a lot.

I am trying to use PSPICE to model the behaviour of an electrified
and buried pipeline (for natural gas or oil). Specifically, I wish
to know the impedance of the steel pipe (ferromagnetic, hollow
(0.375 inches thick) conductor). There is a rectifier having one of
these leads connected to the pipe, and the other lead connected to a
grounding system: so a 120Hz rectified current is going through the
ground into different points of the pipe and coming back to the
rectifier through the pipe.

I understand that I should not considered the system as a
transmission line because is too short (10 miles or so) compared to
the current frequency (120Hz).

Is the impedance for a pipeline the same as for a cylindrical
conductor (no hollow)? That is; is the Z=3D (1+j)/(s=95d);
s=3Dconductance, d=3Dskin depth. Can I apply this equation even for low
frequencies such as 120Hz?

From Z=3D (1+j)/(s=95d), I can obtain the internal inductance and the
surface resistance..Are there any other factors to consider
(external inductance, coupled inductance)?

Thanks a lot.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: