[SI-LIST] Re: how EM wave propagates through space

  • From: Paglia Frank-B37323 <B37323@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vinod ah <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 15:04:31 +0000

Vinod,

If you take a little bit of time to understand the equations then it makes
perfect sense. While it is true that an electric charge creates an electric
field, it is not the only why electric fields are created.

Basically what happens is this. A changing magnetic field creates a changing
electric field and a changing electric field creates a changing magnetic field.
These fields can propagate in free space, which as you said has no charge.

I suggest looking at A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Dan Fleisch.
He does a very good job explaining Maxwell, math and all, and helps you
understand in words what the equations are saying. Unlike some of the undergrad
texts it's a short book and he even has podcasts of him reading the text on his
website.

Just like anything that is worthwhile, EM takes some effort.

Best Regards,

Frank Paglia
Freescale Semiconductor, Austin, Texas
Packaging Solutions Development