[SI-LIST] Re: how EM wave propagates through space

  • From: Ralph Wilson <ralph.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:03:48 -0500

Apparently the expansion of the universe.  If it all began with a big
bang; then we were
all in the middle of nowhere at the beginning.  We're now here.  To look
back in time
we have to look back to the center of the universe to where it all
began.  If we're looking
back in time to waves that are just now catching up to us after x
billion years, then we
got here faster than they did.  So we're moving faster than the speed of
light (?) - hence,
one can conclude that the universe expands faster than the speed of
light. Frankly,
I don't get it.

Or, if the universe expands at less than the speed of light, then what
happens when light
hits the boundary of the universe?  Reflect? Or, does the question make
no sense - by
definition, if light is somewhere, it's still in the universe, hence by
definition the universe
expands at least as fast as the speed of light.

Rambling.......
Ralph
Alcatel-Lucent

On 10/4/2011 1:14 PM, Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> So, which travels faster the propagating EM wave or the expansion of the
> universe?
>
> Chris
> Infineon Technologies

List technical documents are available at: