[SI-LIST] Re: high speed test measurement equipment?

  • From: "Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'doug@xxxxxxxxxx'" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>,"Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:50:47 -0800

Hello Douglas and other SIers..........

It's difficult to respond to the original query regarding the proper
selection of Scopes and Probes for SI work because, as Tom Dagostino pointed
out, "It is impossible for an outsider to tell you what you need.  You need
to look at what signals you are exploring." Tektronix has a 57 page tutorial
entitled "ABCs of Probes",located at http://www.tektronix.com/available .
Follow the links to 'Oscilloscopes', and then to 'probes and accessories'.

The following is an excerpt from the Tektronix tutorial I mentioned.
"Manufacturers of oscilloscopes specify bandwidth or rise time to the probe
tip when the scope is used with specific probe models. This is important
because the oscilloscope and probe together form a measurement system, and
it's the bandwidth and rise time of the system that determine its
measurement capabilities. If you use a probe that is not on the scope's
recommended list of probes, you run the risk of unpredictable measurement
results."  This statement would seem to apply to the high frequency
applications that are the source of the original query.

Doug, your points are well taken. It may be that after everyone has stated
their opinions, they could add up to a very lengthy document about a complex
subject, which is seemingly very simple. I think it's difficult to convey in
a few short paragraphs what Tektronix did in a 57 page tutorial. I would
recommend the tutorial by Tektronix is an excellant source of information
for anyone who wants to know more about scope probes.

Lou A. Sanchez