[SI-LIST] Re: frquency limit of a channel

  • From: "Lakshmi N. Sundararajan - PTU" <lakshmi.s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zabinski, Patrick" <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:01:40 -0800

Hi Patrick,
The tr/tf is indeed max 150ps. This is quoted from the datasheet.
Okay, then maybe I thought the datasheet is wrong, went back to my earlier
measurement results.
The tr/tf is anywhere between 45ps and 110ps.
So if we consider the fastest rise time tr=45ps as seen in the channel, then,
0.35/tr = 8Ghz.
The data rate of the channel is 6Gbps.

Now again I have seen different opinions on frq limit to be either 0.35/tr or
1/tr.
This indicates that the max frequency of interest is anywhere between 8Ghz to
22Ghz.
So, then is this the real frequency limit to keep tab for this channel.
22Ghz looks way too high.

Moreover, I have seen many emails pointing out 0.35/tr or even 1/tr.
But can somebody point me from which model do those numbers come from?
I am still unable to understand how come we use this limit for any channel.

Thanks,
-LN