[SI-LIST] frquency limit of a channel

  • From: "Lakshmi N. Sundararajan - PTU" <lakshmi.s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:59:54 -0800

Hi Gurus,
Suppose assume I have a high speed serial link at 6Gbps. The nominal
rise time of the signals on this channel is 150ps.

Given this rise time, the bandwidth required to transmit this signal is
0.35/tr = 2.33Ghz.

So, to study this channel behavior, is it correct to only look at
s-param frequency output till say 3Ghz.
Can any higher frequency data points on this s-param be ignored and
still correctly model the channel behavior?

I also looked up BW * tr = 0.35. This equation is derived from a simple
RC integrator circuit.

How true can this model any channel, since we seem to be using this
equation for all our studies.

Please clarify.

Thanks,

-LN