[SI-LIST] Re: flight time and propagation delay in Hspice

  • From: Alex Horvath <alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:16:39 -0800 (PST)

Do you know if Hyperlynx performs this measurement/calculation automatically?

I used it briefly once and could not find this function.
"Ingraham, Andrew" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
My recollection of the .measure function in (H)Spice, is that it simply
lists the signal-crossings (at some threshold voltage of your choosing)
relative to the simulation time. By itself, it doesn't even show you simple
delay, though you can use it to show signal crossings at two points in the
circuit and then compare them with one another, which would give you the
apparent signal delay from point A to point B.

In Spice (as opposed to some more advanced tools that may or may not be
based on the Spice engine), if you want a delay that is expressed with
respect to a reference test load, then you need to set up a simulation with
that test load, and make the subtraction yourself. Spice won't do it for
you.

Re: doing the test load simulation just once ... actually, it's once per set
of process and environmental conditions (temperature, supply voltage, driver
model). You just don't need to repeat it every time you do a simulation
with those same conditions.

Regards,
Andy

> one question regarding to flight time and propagation delay when using
> Hspice simulation, In most GUI simulation tool such as candence
> specctraquest, there's a test load as a reference to measure "flight time"
> while in Hspice ,there's meas. syntax provied for us to measure
> propagation
> delay, I wonder if this propagation delay is as same as the fligth time we
> measure in GUI tools(specctraquest)???
> or.. we still need to add test load circuit into Hspice netlist for
> simulate
> the "flight time"??
> anyone who please could enlighten me on this issue. thanks a lot!

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

List technical documents are available at: