[SI-LIST] Re: f vs. Tf vs. jitter

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:00:04 -0700

Andy, in a PLL the stability of the VCO, as well as noise and leakage in
the phase comparator and error amplifier plays directly to jitter.
Those all get magnified by the phase comparator interval compared to the
nominal VCO interval in a digital, or traditional mixed analog / digital
PLL.  In a pure analog PLL using multipliers there is still the issue of
multiplier linearity and noise.  This was somewhat central to Chris
Cheng's objection to the huge ratio between VCO operating frequency and
phase comparator interval for certain signaling standards.  That tall
ratio belabors the analog electronics with greater stability and noise
sensitivity than would be necessary with a shorter ratio.

Best Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net