[SI-LIST] Re: equal length requirement for SDRAM signals

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:14:11 +0100

Hi Jeff,

I think that there have been discussions in the past how accurate length
matching need to be done.
I agree totally with you, that very accurate length matching is easy to
implement for layout guys and as long it has no disadvantage it should
be done as accurate as possible.

But I have seen designs that required to increase the distance between
Controller and DRAMs in order to get the required length matching. In
addition to this the meanders have been routed so close that there was a
significant X-talk adder.

If I have a defined length mismatch i can calculate very accurate what
I'm loosing in the timing budget. But for X-talk and additional length
it is not that straight forward to estimate the effect in timing budget.
Therefore I prefer to e. g. spend 70ps in the timing budget by having
10mm length mismatch vs. an unknown impact of X-talk in my system.

One reason why we might have different experience here is, because we
are talking about different systems. I often deal e. g. with cheap DDR2
solder down systems (not terminated, low layer count, single ended DQS,
no impedance control, ... ).
I have not seen this in normal DIMM type applications on Desktop size
systems or even servers ...

Hermann

**** Attention: Our Address has changed. Please change your database according
to the information below *****

Our next Events:
================

Visit us on Embedded World 2013 in Nuremberg
26-28.02.2013
Hall 1, Booth 430

Check our website or contact us for details

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx