[SI-LIST] Re: effects of propagation time with respect to rise time

  • From: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <johnmattfaq@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:32:01 -0800

Hello, John,

Welcome to the wonderful world of signal integrity.

Rise time is not always equal to 10% of clk period.  For example, when
people talk about "over clocking", they are talking about having the
half-period and the risetime being nearly equal.

In high speed boards, the risetime is commonly much less than the
propagation time.  This is why interconnects must be treated as transmission
lines.  Keep reading, because Eric does a great job of explaining
transmission line effects for digital signals.

Best regards,
Lynne