[SI-LIST] Re: edge coupled coated microstrip differentialimpedance

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Doug Brooks" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:28:20 -0800

I've seen worse that what Doug describes.  I checked the stackup of some
PCBs from a fabricator who is no longer around and they were not even close
to what was on the fab drawing.  When I checked into it, one of the former
engineers of the fab shop said to me "We always use what ever material we
have."  I asked if it mattered that the fab drawing stated this was not
allowed.  The reply was "No one ever checks this, so we decided it didn't
matter!"

How does one guard against these problems?  There are two actions needed.
First, once a stackup and the glass styles used in the laminate and
prepregs are known, they must be inlcuded as part of the stackup on the fab
drawing along with a note stating that these are not to be changed without
written permission from the customer's engineering group- not just the
buyer.  Second, it is necessary to visit potential fabricators to insure
they have the capability to build what is being requested.  Remember, not
all fabricators have the same capability nor are they interchangable, even
within the same company.

It should be possible to trust the fabricator's sales staff to accurately
represent its capacity and not take orders it is not capable of
fullfilling.  Sadly, this is not always the case, so you have to keep your
guard up.  At this point some will say "we don't have time to do that or we
can't affort to do that."  I say, you don't have any choice, unless you
want to solve problems like the one that started this string of messages.
Pay me now, pay me later always applies.

differentialimpedance

> I'll second that. I've seen some vendors not only use inaccurate,
> older calculators of little value, but have seen them apply
> single-ended approximate models to differential solutions.
>
> And when I asked one QC manager what material he used if I specified
> an Er of 4.7 he pointed to a place on the shelf. When I asked what he
> used if I specified 3.9 he pointed to the same place! That was all he
> had. They never bothered to change dimensions.
>
> Sometimes it's scary out there!
>
> Doug
>

> At 01:23 PM 2/2/2006, Grasso, Charles wrote:
> >It is not uncommon to have different shops "tweak" the design.
> >This in no way implies that your original calculations were incorrect.
> >Remember that FR4 can have an Er ranging from 3.5 to 5. SO if PWB Vendor
> >uses material at the upper range - the dimensions will be different to a
> >vendor that uses materials in the lower range.
> >
> >No matter what I suggest you do not take the data at face value. It is
> >also
> >not uncommon for some PWB vendors to use "free" calculators that are
> >inaccurate. Simulate the cross section yourself in a trusted 2D solver
> >and verify.
> >
> >Best Regards
> >Charles Grasso
> >Senior Compliance Engineer