[SI-LIST] duplicates from si-list

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:12:47 -0700

My informal polling shows that only a few of us are getting double
postings (I overstated it as "almost always" - in looking back at my
"deleted items", it only occurs occasionally).  Here's a synopsis:

11 folks reporting occasional duplicates:

6 using Outlook

2 using "Thunderbird" e-mail program

2 using Lotus Notes

1 using mail.yahoo.com

But I suspect the reason there are more Outlook errors than others might
be that more people use Outlook.

Here's a snippet from a posting on Microsoft on duplicate mail messages:

It may be incomplete pop3 collection causing it.

If you pop to your mail server and start collecting mail, your mail
server will not delete any of your mail until your client has
successfully collected it all, this is by design and part of the pop3
standard so it applies to all POP3 server types.

As a result if your POP collect fails part way through with only some of
the available mail collected you will get duplicates of the messages
from the incomplete POP session when you next connect and sucessfully
download the lot.

Now that I look again at the duplicate postings, I see subtle
differences in the "from" addresses of the duplicates (Name
alias1@xxxxxxxx vs. Name alias2@xxxxxxxxx).  I wonder if folks are
sending from 2 different e-mail address (though how/why they would do
that I don't know; I asked one of the people off-line and they certainly
didn't do it intentionally).

If you're getting duplicate postings, look for subtle differences in the
"from" addresses of the duplicates.  If you're not, I suspect your mail
service is doing some nice screening for you.

It may also be due to errors occurring while collecting your mail.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: