[SI-LIST] Re: distributed packaging model

  • From: "Perry Qu" <perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ozgur Misman <omism@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:04:07 -0500

Hi! Ozgur:

Thank you for your reply. I have some bad experience with lumped RLC type of
model in a 200-300 ps rise time differential pair application. The package is a
big size ceramic one. The stub length on the package itself approach 1", and
ceramic material makes it longer electrically. We see some strange ripples on
the rising/falling edge when measured at the BGA balls and we suspect packaging
is the problem. A lumped RLC type of simulation does not reflect this. We then
request a distributed model from the vendor and we are lucky to get a  model
including  details such as solder balls, traces, vias, coupling between traces,
etc. With this detailed model, we are able to obtain good correlation with
measurement.

Since then I became very careful about packaging parasitics whenever I have
fast rise time signals. And by playing around with spice simulation, it appears
to me that packaging stub could cause  problems at a slower rise time for
single-ended application.

I agree with you that the packaging model should be divided into sections
representing traces on packaging substrate, which can be simulated as
transmission line, and other discontinuety such as vias, wire bond, solder
balls, etc., which can be simulated using lumped RLCs. The question is, how
many vendor will actually do that ?

Regards

Perry

--
Perry Qu

Product Integrity         |      600 March Road
Alcatel Canada            |      Ottawa, ON K2K 2E6, Canada

DID: (613) 7846720        |      FAX: (613) 5993642

List archives are viewable at: