[SI-LIST] Re: digital to analogue noise coupling

  • From: "Perry Qu" <perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:47:41 -0400

Thanks, steve. The crosstalk is in the range of 60 mV. The return path of
the clock is a solid plane and the clock is routed on either side of the
plane. There are about total 12 drops on 2 branches of the clock (series
terminated at both branches). The stackup looks like:

Component (short analogue/digital breakout)
Sig2 (most of analogue routing)
Sig3 (clock)
Gnd
Sig4 (clock)

As I understood, there is some capacitive coupling as clock on sig3 pass
underneath component pads on component side. Also, some inductive coupling
is bound to happen as analogue routing on sig2 which is far away from the
plane will see noise induced from the clock loop (sig2/gnd) -- this is small
as most of the analogue traces on sig2 are routed perpendicular to sig3, and
there is only a few routed at an 45 degree angle.  However, even with all
these capacitive/inductive coupling, it still does not explain why I see the
copy of the clock rather than glitch corresponding to rising/falling edges
only.

Regards

Perry

Perry Qu