[SI-LIST] diff signaling

  • From: "Landrum, Chris" <chris_landrum@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 06:11:18 -0800

I have been searching through the archive for information regarding this but
I have not come up with anything concrete.
Many people mention using differential signaling in an effort to reduce
common mode noise. Looking through Lee Ritchey's book "Right the First
Time", his discussion implies that this is not the case. For there to be
common mode noise rejection between two traces, the fields would have to be
equal and opposite. In a PCB structure with a diff pair referencing GND
planes (say in a stripline topology) this seems impossible! Routing signals
next to eachother is convenient for length matching (skew management) but I
don't see much else.... Any thoughts.

And I do apologize if this has been discussed in detail before.
Thanks
Chris

List FAQ wiki page is located at:
                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl