[SI-LIST] diff pairs and spacing

  • From: lthemanz <lthemanz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:29:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,
Typically our SI / EE guys tells us, give me a diff pairs with 1x or 1.5x
spacing between +/-.
If we apply below 'equation'

"The proximity of the grounded second trace really does decrease the impedance
of the signal trace, and it drops it more as the ground
trace gets closer. However, the effect is very small. As long as the adjacent
trace is at least a line width away, it has an impact of less
than 0.1  on the impedance of the line. When it is within half a line width
away, the impedance drops by 1 , and then drops faster as
the ground trace gets closer."

http://www.bethesignal.com/_FileLibrary/MonthlyColumn/64/BTS076_Calculating_Characteristic_Impedence_0307PCDM.pdf

Doesn't anything more then 1x have no proximity effect? Or am I applying this
wrongly.

thanks
-lthemanz

List technical documents are available at: