[SI-LIST] de-embedded [S] measurements and IEEE

  • From: Jim Nadolny <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:07:21 +0000

So how many times have you gotten a measured Touchstone file from a vendor and
felt the data was bad...or maybe not complete junk, but it had obvious
passivity issues. Maybe you wanted to measure some PCB traces and needed to
de-embed the launch effects and found your data suspect. Maybe you wondered if
you should trust the measured connector data above 20 GHz as the calibration
traces were not the best. You have to admit, getting high quality measured
S-parameter data of embedded microwave structures is a non-trivial effort,
particularly above 20-30 GHz.
You have an opportunity to help change this, to add to our SI discipline.

A new IEEE standards effort has been initiated to address the types of problems
above. A small group of SI folks have gotten together and submitted a PAR
(project authorization request) to the IEEE and it has been approved. So the
general framework of the standard has been formed, but a lot of details are
needed to make this a really useful document. The project is referred to as
IEEE P370 "Electrical Characterization of Printed Circuit Board and Related
Interconnects at Frequencies up to 50 GHz". We have some industry heavyweights
involved including Intel, Cisco, IBM, Molex and Samtec.

We meet via teleconference every 2 weeks and are looking for contributors. You
can contribute by simply reviewing the document or you can take a more active
role as a chair, vice-chair or secretary of the 3 technical groups. The time
frame is pretty short for an IEEE standard, we are committed to delivering an
initial draft in December 2016.

Contact me if you are interested.

Jim Nadolny

List forum is accessible at: