[SI-LIST] Re: ddr2 ansoft / EMC2 paper available for download

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:40:40 -0700

Chris generally speaking locating the vias closer signal transitions
rather than further away better limits the amount of energy that ends up
bouncing around in the cavity.  So, if for example we determined that we
wanted a mean stitch density of 4 vias / square inch, and we had a mean
signal via density of 4 or fewer vias / square inch, we can make our
lives easier by locating the stitch vias near the signal vias.  That
agrees with your idea to place stitch vias close to signal transitions.

OTOH, if we have a lot higher signal transition density in some region
it does not necessarily follow that we will see substantial benefit by
trying to match those 1:1 with stitch vias.  I want to make clear that
while it may seem intuitively appealing to think that a "return via"
matches or exactly compensates a signal via, in reality it does not.  I
cannot emphasize strongly enough that any given stitch via just reflects
a certain amount of signal energy that makes it harder for that energy
to propagate into the lateral extents of the cavity versus along the z
axis where we would like it to go.  If we really want the signal energy
to all transition through the z axis and out to the horizontal plane on
the new layer, it takes multiple "return" vias per signal with the right
geometry including anti-pads.

As far as injecting high speed signal energy into power cavities goes, I
agree the attendant cost can be very and unnecessarily high,
particularly at today's edge rates.  However, that is not to say that it
cannot be done successfully over limited circumstances.  If I can make
something work reliably and drop PCB layers by going through a power
cavity, then I am inclined to save my clients money by doing that.  If
it isn't going to work reliably, then there is no point.  I think an
alternate way to express Lee's point is that he has a lot of successful
experience meeting performance requirements while employing technical
compromises that have allowed him / his customers to save complications
and money.  We want quantifiable measures that apply in advance of
design so that we can make these decisions intelligently.

On your point a) I think that if you look at Bruce Archambeault's
hierarchy for signal routing, it is in good agreement with your axiom.
In essence, both of them seek to avoid pumping energy through cavities
and PDS nodes unnecessarily.  Good microwave routing techniques work
because the physics supports them.  The catch is in the definition of
"unnecessarily".  To me it is foolish to refuse to take technically
suboptimal paths when doing so successfully offers economic advantage.
As more of our industry's growth relies on consumer oriented goods with
tough ASPs I think this point becomes increasingly important. If we
really wanted to be religious about interconnects we would ban wire
bonds.  But, wire bonds aren't going away.  Nor should they.  Getting
back to what I liked about the Ansoft / EMC2 effort is that it
demonstrated that by using these tools we can quantify what provides
value and what does not.  That translates to arming us with useful
information on how to trade performance vs cost.

On your point b) I would agree that inductance severely limits our
ability to present low impedance to any package above some value in the
10's of MHz.  However, several issues not the least of which are
resonances can make it a big deal to consider and manage PCB PDN
behavior substantially beyond 100MHz.  If you want to talk about
specific examples, I would prefer to do that off-line.

Best Regards,

Steve.

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: