[SI-LIST] current rating of wirebonds

  • From: "Jan Vercammen" <jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:43:06 +0100

Hello si-list,

I need some information of the current rating and fuse operation of
wirebonds and
on-chip metalization. This question arises from discussions about safety
design of
chip signal pins that go outside equipment (shortcircuit current rating).

The information I have is that 30micron diameter aluminium wirebonds fuse
at 1Amp.

-1- What is the rule of thumb for the current rating of gold/alu wirbonds
in function of diameter?
-2- What is the rule of thumb for the fuse currentc current of gold/alu
wirbonds in function of diameter?
-3- What is the current and fuse rating of standard chip voltage supply
metalization? This is
probably a hard question with no definite answers.

Can anyone share his/her experiences with short-circuit hazards on I/O
circuits (e.g RS232, SCSI,...)
and how to provide protective measures (PTC, fuses, resistors, ...)?

Kind regards,

Jan Vercammen
Agfa-Gevaert NV
Mortsel, Belgium