[SI-LIST] Re: cpw question?

  • From: kaustubh bhate <kaustubhbhate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 03:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I would like to thank everybody for their replies to
my posted questions.
I had a couple more follow-up questions.

1)What information is conveyed by the phase of the
s-parameters generated in hfss?
2)Also, hfss solves for all 3 modes of the cpw and
generates a large data-matrix.So when looking for the
s-parameters and characteristic impedance of the cpw,
do all the other modes, except the cpw mode, have to
be overlooked?
3)I have observed that when the substrate is
"dielectric" the characteristic impedance of the cpw
is rock-solid stable over a wide frequency range (0.8G
to 40G), whereas for a low resistivity substrate (low
resistivity silicon) the characteristic impedance
varies by about 30 ohms for the same above range.Is
there a way to design a cpw of characteristic
impedance of 50 ohm for such a lossy substrate even
over a  narrow frequency range or is that only
possible for a particular frequency and not an entire
range?Increasing the oxide thickness on the silicon
substrate reduces the field interaction with the
substrate and hence the loss, so is this one possible
alternative.

I would appreciate all inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Kaustubh.