[SI-LIST] cpw question?

  • From: kaustubh bhate <kaustubhbhate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:37:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
I am simulating a simple ungrounded cpw in hfss.The
cpw is on a 0.5 micron thick oxide on a low
resistivity silicon substrate(1.5-2 ohm-cm).The length
of the cpw is 650 microns and it's configuration is
100/50/100.The cpw characteristic impedance is not 50
ohms.(HFSS gives zpi = 12ohms). After simulation hfss
gives results in terms of s-parameters and zo and
gamma.

I realize that the real part of gamma will give me the
propogation loss, and as the cpw is on a lossy
substrate I get a high value of alpha (526.5 np/m ie
4.573 db/mm at 5 ghz) which is understandable.
I also get a value of s21 as -3.547 db at 5 Ghz.

My question is "Is there a relation between the values
of alpha and s21? What do the values of alpha and s21
signify? How can I calculate the insertion loss in the
line.".

By definition insertion loss is "power delivered to
matched load divided by power applied at input", but
since the cpw does not have a characteristic 50 ohm
impedance, will the value of s21 expressed in db equal
to insertion loss, when I measure this structure on a
network analyzer.

Thanks in advance.

Kaustubh.

PS:I realize that some folks may think this email
would be more appropriate for an AE of hfss.

=====

List archives are viewable at: