[SI-LIST] Re: compare ADS dispersion with H-Spice W-element.

  • From: "D G" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 01:17:51 +0800

Ron,

I'm not a theoretician either (at least, that's not what I get paid
for ;).  Most of my experience is with low-loss substrates and very
low signal density.  ADS and Momentum work well in those cases.  I
don't do much with FR4 other than DC and baseband, so I can't really
comment.  Many of my coworkers have had success designing high-frequency FR4
and Rogers PCBs with ADS and Momentum so it must
work well enough.

The ADS dispersion models are based on published models.  If
Kuznetsov has published papers comparing his model to these other
models, then that would be a good basis to go by.  Otherwise, the
best thing is probably to compare measured results with simulation
for your application.

- Daniel

From: Ron Miller <rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Dan
>
> Just want to touch base with you since you are using ADS too.
>
> My co-worker Dmitri Kuznetsov invented and owns the W-element
used
> in Hspice.  He is convinced that the W-element provides better
fidelity
> than the models for transmission lines in ADS.
>
> Would you care to comment?  I am not a deep enough theoritician
> be able to make a comparison.
>
> Ron Miller

"Er=er_nom+freq*disp_factor" would
> work if the change in Er is linearly dependent on frequency.
You can do the
> same with loss tangent (TanD).
>
> - Daniel
>
> From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>

> > OOOOOOOOOH!  Now I'm getting somewhere, I think.  Attached
(for Bryce,
> anway.  Anyone else who would like the data will have to e-mail
me
> individually since it won't get through the reflector) you will
find the
> data which started this whole fiasco (or at least some of it).
In it, I am
> VNA'ing a long (~14") microstrip trace (actually 1/2 of a
differential
> pair), and comparing those measurements with simulations
(Hspice, using
> W-element for the T-line).
> >
> > What I noticed was that measured S21 phase derivative
varied with
> frequency.  See "1tz_S21P" sheet.
> >
> > In it (top graph) you will note that the simulation and
measurement phases
> line up at the beginning and ends, but not in the middle.
Trying to explain
> this was my original intent.  Below S21 phase, I've also plotted
> calculated Tp.  For the measurement, this clearly varies with
frequency (Tp
> gets less at higher F).
> >
> > Some things I would tend to conclude at this point are:
> > 1) Yes, I'm seeing dispersion, as defined by Bryce (and his
"official
> definition" seems to be an accurate, concise definition,
based on what I've
> read and heard).
> > 2) It is possible to have losses without dispersion, at
least in
> simulations.  On page "1tz", it's clear that S21
magnitude is varying with
> frequency as a result of losses, both in measurements and
simulations.  But,
> there is no dispersion apparent in the simulations.
> > 3) Dispersion is causing my Tp for this 14" line to
vary from 2.35nS (at
> low F) to 2.15nS (at 6GHz).
> >
> > So, of my original 2 questions, the 2nd one is answered
(how dispersion
> would show itself in measurements).  The first question - can
Hspice or ADS
> simulate dispersion effects - remains open.
> >
> > P.S.
> > I'm not sure there exists enough disk space in the world
for a "book" this
> forum might produce :-)
> >
> > Thanks again for everyone's help...
> >
> > Jeff Loyer

definition of
> > dispersion.
> >
> > If I were to observe a phase or group delay plot, I would
have an idea of
> > how much spectral component spreading or dispersion  would
occur at each
> > frequency.  But, my eyes aren't that good at doing
derivatives, so it
> might
> > be easier to simply look at the dispersion plot.  So, when
we say
> > "dispersion" we are conceptually talking about
this general spreading,
> that
> > we know exists in the 2nd derivative plot, even though most
of us don't
> make
> > dispersion plots of an H(s) every day.  One could talk
about group delay
> or
> > phase delay just as well, and say that they cause
dispersion.  It's just
> > another way of talking about the same property.  But, if we
are talking
> > about dispersion specifically, then one might want to know
exactly how
> much
> > spectral spreading was introduced by a given trace, etc.
And, one would
> > want to know how to minimize that number to meet a spec.
> >
> > I think it would be quite valuable if we could share some
examples of
> actual
> > measurements--especially with plots and descriptions.
> >
> > Signal integrity is broad, and I often think that this list
would be
> > benefited by an online book that just had everything
clarified.  We could
> > just say--look at section 1.2 to find your answer.  We
could improve the
> > "book" as a group.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bryce

dispersion without loss.
> > >Dispersion without loss is defined only for wave
guides. In a PCB the
> > >resulting change in er carries with it losses in the
dielectric
> > >characterized
> > >by the loss tangent. The losses and resulting change in
er are a
> > >function
> > >of frequency, which results in dispersion and
attentuation. There is
> > >also
> > >additional attenuation with frequency caused by the so
called skin
> > >effect.
> > >I believe the loss in the conductor is often associated
with the
> > >attenuation
> > >constant. While the losses in the dielectric are often
attributed to the
> > >phase constant. The propagation constant is a function
of the two and is
> > >frequency dependent. The degree of change depends on
the materials used.

> > >Best regards,

definition of dispersion
> > is
> > the
is different than the

> > group
is different from the

> > group
"fatter" when looked in the
> time

general, Jackson's
> book
theoretical treatment of the
> > subject
cursory overview.

do with losses.  For
or rectangular), is
different from the group

frequency, this causes
accounted for in any myriad
> > of

systems of dispersive

 This is easy to
> > measure
> > in
put in a *great* square

> > wave,
100 meter section of

> > coax
rise time measurement
> > will
> > be

dispersive does _not_ imply
> > lossy.
example of this property.

isn't the perfect
> > definition
phase dispersive
> qualities.
> >
> > The
consider the
> bandwidth
> > of
measurement.

corrects the
> "knobbed"
> > phase
non-dispersive.

Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
 =====
dispersion) began when I asked
> > the
original question.

are you talking about losses
> > (resistive,
phase velocities
> (page
> > 170
effects as
> dispersive
> > and
term "dispersive"
> correct?

(S21 magnitude) implies
> you
have termed "effects of conductor
> > and
trouble with that, since
> > stripline
effect is explained
> without
separate effect than conductor
> > and
I've heard of is
> that
> > Steve
material is dispersive, it is also
> > lossy".
is lossy, it is also
separate (even if one
> can't
> > occur

"knobbing" electrical delays
> until
> > S21

fax: +1 865.241.6739

go to:

 with 'help' in the Subject field

viewable at:

> > >--
> > >Fred Balistreri
> > >fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > >http://www.apsimtech.com
> >
> > Craig Deibele
> > Spallation Neutron Source
> > 701 Scarboro Road
> > Room 301  MS 6473
> > Oak Ridge, TN  37830
> > mailto:deibele@xxxxxxx

> > office: +1 865.574.1969   cell: +1 865.719.4381   fax: +1
865.241.6739

--
Daniel
ZZZ-dgun-ZZZ-@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(remove the Z-'s to reply--they're what I do when I read spam)

List archives are viewable at: