[SI-LIST] Re: commodity

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenoshun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 09:04:30 -0700

Hi,

I was trying to point out: I have a feeling that some part of SI-engineering
still requires understanding of complex scientific mechanisms and can be
done only by the best and brightest. Still many companies religiously
believe that it cannot be. If I am right, then it would cause project and
business failures, but somehow most businesses still thrive. Both the
businesses that utilize a few experts, and those companies who believe no
experts are needed (only a trained guy who knows how to run HFSS or
Hyperlynx) remain competitive on the market. Some times SI engineering is
provided as a service from far-east or local outsourcing companies who also
provide manufacturing and other engineering services, normally as a bundle.

I have met with bad SI teams (their work was useless), and also worked with
a consultant US who did the full service pointing out our problems and
solutions. For a weird reason the market seems to have no natural selection
of the fittest. Or it is coming later? What is making the unfit to survive?

Istvan