[SI-LIST] coax to PCB transition - return loss

  • From: Perry Qu <perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:50:17 -0400

Hi,

I have been having problems in designing STM1 electrical interface to
pass return loss requirement (< -15 dB up to 240MHz). We don't have a 3D
full wave tool in house so I can't really simulate the interface and
provide proper design guidelines. My question, what will be the best
coax to PCB transition (75 ohm vertically-mounted SMZ connector):

1. a microstrip, where center conductor of SMZ is connected to
microstrip lines on PCB and the 4 ground pins are connected to the
reference copper on PCB;

2. A coplannar waveguide structure, ground - signal -ground, where
signal is connected to center conductor and ground is connected to
ground pins on SMZ.

As long as we maintain 75 impedance control, I don't see much difference
in terms of return loss performance for the above two.

Also, how significant will through hole via along the signal path affect
return loss at 240 MHz (assume 0.093" thickness) ?

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Perry

--
Perry Qu

SDN D & Q            |      600 March Road
Alcatel Canada       |      Ottawa, ON K2K 2E6, Canada

DID: (613) 7846720   |      FAX: (613) 5993642

List archives are viewable at: