[SI-LIST] Re: characteristic impedance at DC

  • From: "Luciano Boglione" <l.boglione@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:54:23 -0400

It's a very interesting question, so I'd like to add my 5 cents (not
necessarily answers to Mohammad's questions). So, if I am not mistaken.

.         If the fundamental mode is TEM, the corresponding structure does
not support DC - e.g. the fundamental mode of a waveguide is TEM, but no DC
is supported by a waveguide

.         The telegraph equation applies to a structure that supports DC
(e.g. cable) and R,L,C,G are AC quantities

.         If the line is lossless and the RLCG model is used, then
Zo=sqrt(L/C) even as f->0

.         Distributed effects as f->0 occur only if length is comparable to
lambda - i.e. a very long line. If the RLGC model is used and it is valid,
then I would expect to measure Zo (say 50ohm) as f->0 since the line becomes
"invisible".

Just food for thoughts! Within the constraints of a model (e.g. RLGC), I
would expect that the characteristic impedance of the line follows the
resulting equation. However, if there is experimental evidence that Zo
increases as f->0 in microstrip or alike, then the model we are considering
(e.g. RLGC) may not be modeling reality accurately.

Looking forward to following the discussion.

Regards,

Luciano