[SI-LIST] Re: characteric impedance

  • From: Brian Rautio <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<long.0.yang@xxxxxxxxx>" <long.0.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:54:04 +0000

All,

S-parameters and Z-parameters are most certainly different ways to represent
the same thing. The conversions are trivial and are implemented in most
software packages that deal with such things. The main difference is that
S-parameters are normalized to a characteristic impedance, typically but not
necessarily 50 Ohms, whereas Z-parameters are not. Y-, H-, T- and ABCD- are
additional standardized formats to represent the same thing. Each has strengths
and weaknesses and is more or less convenient for a given task.

Converting an S-parameter file to a spice model is NOT a trivial task, as you
are converting from frequency domain to time domain. There are a number of ways
to solve this problem, again, each with strengths and weaknesses. There are
also a number of serious pitfalls, mostly centered around bandwidth and
causality.

For bandwidth, one might naively think that for a 1 GHz signal they need
S-parameters with a range of 800-1200 MHz. In reality, the transients for a 1
GHz clock might be from 200 MHz up to 3 or 4 GHz--broadband models are a
requirement.

Casualty is another issue. In employing a transform to go from frequency domain
to time-domain, it is possible to end up with a less-than-causal model. There
are a number of ways to "force" causality, and this can work very well. At
Sonnet, what we actually do is use a curve fit with RLC networks, which is
guaranteed to be causal from the start. You can find more information here --
http://www.sonnetsoftware.com/products/sonnet-suites/bb_spice.html.

Thanks,
Brian

List forum  is accessible at: