[SI-LIST] Re: capacitor impedance in time domain

  • From: Steve Corey <steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:54:19 -0800

In my opinion, the easiest way to solve the problem is to think of what
you would expect when TDR'ing an ideal 50-ohm T-Line of delay Td
terminated by an ideal capacitance C, using an ideal 50-ohm TDR with a
total voltage step of vstep.  The capacitor initially appears as a short
circuit (voltage goes to zero, gamma=-1) and finally appears as an open
circuit (voltage goes to vstep, gamma=+1).  Now think of the view from
the perspective of the capacitor.  When it looks up the line, all it
sees is 50 ohms to ground, tline energy storage notwithstanding -- the
capacitor doesn't care if it's a terminated tline or a resistor.  As a
result, the controlling time constant to charge the capacitor is
(C*50ohms).  When we mix all this together, we come up with a TDR
waveform that starts at zero, steps up to vstep/2, is flat for 2*Td,
steps instantaneously to zero, then "decays" up to vstep with a time
constant given by C*50ohms.

We review this case, and a number of related cases, in our TDR quick
guide, although the pictures do include parasitic effects such as finite
risetime and a nonideal capacitor:
http://www.tdasystems.com/library/appnotes/tdr_iconnect_quick_guide.PDF

For a actual measurements on a power/ground plane pair, you can take a
look at figure 4 in the following app note:
http://www.tdasystems.com/library/appnotes/PDNA-0703.pdf

Regarding Steve's earlier post -- replacing jw with dv/dt to map Z =
1/jwC to Z = 1/(dv/dt * C) is really no different from a frequency
domain analysis since the latter expression is only valid for a
single-frequency sinusoidal v.  Looking for flat and steep places in a
non-sinusoidal v and applying that relationship will not give valid results.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Analysis Company."