[SI-LIST] Re: capacitor impedance in time domain

  • From: "group_delay" <group_delay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 05:24:29 -0000

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the very insightful way of looking at the problem and
effectively solving it! It was actually not a homework problem. I am
doing a thesis on IC design and wanted to find out about the
capability of cmos buffers to drive capacitive loads, and my
knowledge of tlines is a bit rusty...been a while since my undergrad
days...

thanks again!

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Fekete <thefekete@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear group_delay, Arpad, =85
>
> When I answered to this topic three days ago I thought that I
explained enough in my message but apparently not.

> Let's start specifying that any voltage (and current) distribution
on a transmission line can be decomposed in two waves. One is the
progressive (from source to load) and the other is regressive.

> Anywhere on the line the actual voltages and currents are
superpositions of these, more exactly: V=3DV(+)  + V(-)  and  I =3D I
(+) - I(-); the voltages add and the currents are substracted

> For both waves the relationship between voltage and current is the
well known V(+)=3DZc* I(+) and V(-)=3DZc *I(-)

> The way the problem is formulated (by the way, it looks like a
homework problem) implies that we have the progressive wave V(+)
defined as trapezoidal and we want the reflected wave ie V(-)

> An important detail is that the source is connected to a 50 ohm
resistor and then to the line. Assuming the line has a 50 ohm
characteristic impedance and the source is perfect results that the V
(-) wave returning to the source sees a perfectly terminated line
and will not give any more reflections.

> This simplifies things and also the 50 ohm resistor and 50 ohm
line will result in half of the source voltage actually going on the
line (as group_delay noticed).

> To solve the problem in time domain we don't need to use the
concept of impedance, although if you like you can talk about it.

> At the capacitor we have I=3DC dV/dt
>
> Note that these V and I are not the trapezoidal ones, but they are
as mentioned V=3DV(+)  + V(-)  and  I =3D I(+) - I(-) and only V(+) and I
(+) are trapezoidal.

> This equation gives
>
> V(+)/Zc  - V(-)/Zc =3D C (  dV(+)/dt + dV(-)/dt )
>
> V(+) is known so I'll group the terms:
>

> dV(-)/dt + V(-)/CZc=3D dV(+)/dt =96V(+)/CZc
>

> the term C*Zc is the "RC constant" mentioned in some messages  =3D
tau

> so the equation for the unknown V(-) is:
>

> dV(-)/dt + V(-)/tau =3D dV(+)/dt =96 V(+)/tau
>

> I solved this equation quickly for rectangular pulse V(+) and it
took a while for the trapezoidal pulse but it is doable.

> For a rectangular pulse (rise time=3D0) V(-)=3D[1-2exp(-t/tau)]
*0.5      for t=3D(0 to T) ( time origin shifted to when the pulse
arrives at the capacitor) and V(-)=3D [1-exp(-T/tau)]*exp[-(t-T)/tau]
for t=3D T to infinity

> Note that this gives you V(-)=3D - 0.5 for t=3D0 ie exactly the dip
that takes the V(+)=3D0.5 V down to zero as group_delay noticed for
zero  rise time

> For a trapezoidal pulse it is much uglier
>
> V(-)=3D 0.5/tr * (t-2tau)+tau/tr * exp(-t/tau) for the up ramp t=3D 0
to tr

> And so on =85
>

> The voltage at the end of the rise time is
>
> 0.5- tau/tr[1-exp(-tr/tau)]
>
> if you take the limit for tr ->0 you'll find the previous result =96
0.5

> however for tr different from zero it is > -0.5 and does not
cancel completely the 0.5 of the V(+) , again as noticed by
group_delay

>  With these V(-) and V(+) propagated  one can reconstruct the
actual voltage at the capacitor and the source

> The problem can also be solved, as I mentioned earlier, in Laplace
or Fourier domains, in which cases one would actually use the
capacitor impedance.

> Hope this helped in solving the homework problem.
>

> Peter

> group_delay <group_delay@xxxx> wrote:
> arpad,
> i didn't quite understand some of the characters in your equation.
> when you write (finite dV)/(dI =3D 3D 0) =3D 3D> infinite impedance,
> what do you mean?
>
> yes, in my case the input waveform to the tline is a trapezoidal
> signal 0V to 1V. the setup is shown below.
>
> signal source -- 50 ohm resistor -- transmission line-- capacitor
> ground.
>
> when i monitor the voltage at the junction of the resistor and the
> tline, i see it jumps to 0.5V initially which makes sense.
However,
> when the reflection from the end comes back, it dips down very
fast
> and then rises in an exponential fashion. The dip down looks
> parabolic (2nd order). The dip does go to zero for a zero rise
time
> input, but it does not go to zero for a finite rise time signal. i
> am trying to figure out the best way to calculate the amount of
this
> dip...
>
> thanks for you help.
>

> --- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Muranyi, Arpad"
> wrote:
> > You will get full reflection, because the impedance
> > you need to use for the equation you quoted is the
> > small signal (AC) impedance. Referring to my previous
> > posting a short time ago, the constant current source
> > equivalent during the ramping portion of your trapezoid
> > waveform has a (finite dV) / (dI =3D3D 0) =3D3D> infinite impedance.
> >
> > The question I have for you is this: where do you mean
> > that your waveform is trapezoid? At the beginning of
> > the T-line, or at the end, where the capacitor is?
> > If the first, be prepared for a non trapezoid waveform
> > at the capacitor, because the T-line and the cap forms
> > an RC circuit, who's response is an exponential waveform.
> > If the ramp is faster the RC constant you will see
> > an exponential waveform, if it is slower, you will see
> > a more or less trapezoid waveform.
> >
> > I hope this helps,
> >
> > Arpad

=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D
> =3D3D=3D3D=3D

=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D
> =3D3D=3D3D=3D
> > =3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D

P.S.:
> [...]
> >

> >           ht
> tp:/=3D
> > /www.

> > >=3D20
> > >=3D20
> > >=3D20
> > > or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
> > > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> > >=3D20
> > > For help:
> > > si-list-request@xxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
> > >=3D20
> > > List FAQ wiki page is located at:
> > > http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
> > >=3D20
> > > List technical documents are available at:
> > > http://www.si-list.org
> > >=3D20
> > > List archives are viewable at: =3D20
> > > //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > > or at our remote archives:
> > > Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: