[SI-LIST] cable induced circuit damage and corruption

  • From: "Douglas C. Smith" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:22:49 -0800

Hi All,

I have seen some postings recently on the technical lists on cable
discharge so I decided to do a few measurements using a simple test
setup.

Cable discharge happens when a cable becomes statically charged and then
is connected to equipment. This can happen by dragging a cable on the
floor or just holding in in your hand as you plug it into equipment.
Lately there have been reports of damage from this effect to computer
interface circuits. This month's  Technical Tidbit on

http://www.dsmith.org

presents the results of measurements on a simplified form of cable
discharge. The data shows high peak currents and high di/dt values as
well. The test setup is simple to make and is useful for other
measurements as well. A similar test setup was used for the Technical
Tidbit on measuring inductor performance at:

http://www.dsmith.org/tt050100.htm

Doug
    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at: