[SI-LIST] Re: bypass-caps: trade-off between capacitance and inductance

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sarah@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:31:08 -0700

Sarah,  you can work out the mutual coupling between the vias for your two
cases.  A 3D solver would provide the most accurate answer.  For a manual
math exercise you can apply Biot-Savart to this structure.  "Physics" by
Halliday and Resnick is a classic reference for determining inductance by
the method of Biot-Savart.  Dr. Johnson has demonstrated some derivations
for signal and power via arrangements on his web-site www.sigcon.com.

I believe that you are underestimating your via inductance.  For an 0.062"
board, 10 mil drills, and 40mils on centers I come up with 2.6nH for a via
pair in isolation ( 1.3nH for each via ).  To get down to 1.8nH for a pair,
I show 20mil via drills as necessary.  When you place a bunch of these next
to each other, the inductance / via about doubles over a single via pair in
isolation.  When you place a pair that is reversed, at these dimensions,
the inductance falls a little bit ( about 20% ) from the isolated case.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org