[SI-LIST] Re: buffer selection

  • From: "ariazi" <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: azizi_kamran@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:31:15 -0800

>  Is there any standard methodology for buffer selection?

Dear Kami,

I am not aware of a standard technique for buffer selection. However,
when selecting the buffer type for a high-speed digital design it can
be helpful to evaluate/compare critical features of various signaling
standards
and logic families.

Brian Young, "Digital Signal Integrity Modeling and Simulation with
Interconnects
and Packages" on pages 6 - 28 presents a comprehensive discussion of this
topic.
For instance, Tables 1.1 and 1.2 (on Pages 10 and 11) compare driver and
receiver
specifications for several popular signaling standers including TTL, GTL,
HSTL, etc.

Also, from signal integrity perspective it seems to me that sometimes there
exits
option of selecting a desired buffer type (or even specifying how a buffer
should
be designed for satisfactory performance). On the other hand, there are
cases for
which the buffer type is fixed and only the topology and termination can be
varied
to achieve optimum design.

I hope you find this information helpful and with best regards,

Abe Riazi

ServerWorks

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: