[SI-LIST] brick power supplies and test lab errors

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 15:34:48 -0800

 Hi All,
Many of you have attended my web presentation on ESD/EFT internally
generatedin system power supplies. In addition, to the small wall plug power
supplies, I have now confirmed that "brick" type supplies used in PCs can
also exhibit these characteristics. Next to try on larger internal power
supplies, likely to see the effect here too. We will see.

When I was at Auspex Systems (1996-2001) we had 8 EMC radiated emissions
tests performed on our equipment (three 1500 lb cabinets full of disk
drives). Of these, 4 tests had significant test errors, two major and two
minor errors! The tests were done at three different labs over time, all
madeat least one error. "Trust but verify." In 2010-2011, I evaluated 8 ESD
guns, all current cal stickers. 2 of the 8 did not produce the correct
output. "Trust but verify." (Any of you know who said that quote? It is
someone from a completely different field from us.) All the bad data I have
ever seen, came from "calibrated" equipment.

So, if you missed my webinar last week titled "How to Avoid EMC Test Lab
Errors and Their Consequences," I am delivering it next Wednesday, Dec. 17th
at 10 a.m. PST. This is for both experienced engineers as well as new
engineers, especially if you are not in the EMC field. It is a "must see" if
you want to meet schedules and cost targets. Test lab error can be very
costly to your company. The webinar will show you what to look for and
checklists to protect yourself. Info at http://emcesd.com/#upcoming[1] .
Errors covered for many different types of test your equipment will be
subjected to. Suggestions for test labs are made as well.

Doug
-- University of Oxford Tutor Department for Continuing Education Oxford,
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 60941 ========= Boulder City, NV 89006-0941 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[2] \ _ / ] \ _ / Web:
http://www.dsmith.org[3]

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: