[SI-LIST] Re: bandwidth: based on edge rate or data rate?

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zabinski, Patrick" <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:00:55 -0500

Hi Pat,

I think all of your arguments are valid, but to get the full picture, a
few more considerations have to
be added.  As it was noted earlier, there is little doubt that for a
lossy interconnect, which pushes
the limit in terms of overall attenuation, and has a smooth roll-off,
reasonable reflection loss, low
crosstalk and low SSN, there is no need to consider much beyond the
bit-rate frequency.  Even in
this case, if you want to model the channel performance accurately, you
have to assume SOMETHING
about the channel performance above the bit-rate frequency, otherwise
the time-domain resolution of
the calculations wont allow you to get accurate results (of course, what
'accurate' means, may depend
significantly on the application's needs).

But let me stress again, since the question was about channel modeling
in general, we cant ignore
modeling crosstalk, structural resonances and SSN.  And that is even
more important when the
main channel has high attenuation.  When we are at the typical limit
today (20dB), it means that
any crosstalk appears to be ten times bigger on the weak received
signal.  So I would argue that
the actual limit is the sensitivity bandwidth of the receiver and not
the bandwidth of the main received
signal. Crosstalk, SSN and resonances will boost harmonics even if it
happens after a low-pass filter
channel, but it will be more devastating if the aggressor happens to be
a close-by transmit signal
whose edges are still sharper.  In the old days some logic families had
a glitch-filter feature: they
were insensitive to pulses below a given duration (usually 1 nsec).  I
am not aware of a similar
spec for SerDes receivers, and we can definitely not count on the
receiver's bandwidth limitations
in case of silicons, which can operate over multiple bit rates: since
they have to support the
highest bit rate, at lower bit rates they will respond to harmonics as
well, even if they dont when they
operate at their max speed.  And when we add to this the usual large
tolerance window of silicon features,
if we guarantee that also the slowest silicon will respond properly to
the input signal, a fast silicon will
definitely be sensitive to higher frequency noise as well.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

List technical documents are available at: