[SI-LIST] Re: anti-resonance

  • From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ikhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

Ibrahim - Anti-resonance is another name for parallel resonance.  It
specifically refers to the high impedance peak that is obtained from
connecting two different valued capacitors in parallel.  Each capacitor
will have it's own series resonant frequency (SRF, impedance dip).
There is a frequency band between the impedance dip due to the
SRF of the higher value capacitor and below the SRF of the lower value
capacitor.  In that frequency band, the first capacitor is inductive
and the second capacitor is capacitive, forming the classic tank circuit
(parallel capacitor and inductor).  This creates the impedance peak
that I like to call anti-resonance.  It is kind of like matter and
anti-matter.  :)

This terminology is used in a paper published in IEEE Transaction on
Advanced Packaging, August, 1999 pp284-291, "Power Distribution system
Design Methodology and Capacitor selection for Modern CMOS Technology,"
by a bunch of authors at Sun.  A soft copy of the original manuscript
is found under

Look for the cpmt_1999.pdf paper in the Sun section.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

> Subject: [SI-LIST] anti-resonance
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:09:25 -0500
> From: "Ibrahim Khan" <ikhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> SI Gurus,
> The concept of Anti-resonance has been mentioned lately in the group.
> Can someone explain what this is and where to read about it.
>
> regards
> Ibrahim Khan

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: