[SI-LIST] Re: anlog and digital power plane isolation with ferrite bead good idea?

  • From: Alan Hilton-Nickel <alan.hiltonnickel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:07:36 -0800

Unfortunately Lee forgot we can't do attachments on the list. I noodled
around and found the tool on Altera's
website:http://www.altera.com/technology/signal/power-distribution-network/sgl-pdn.html
This looks very cool. Thanks for mentioning it, Lee!

Alan Hilton-Nickel
Oracle, Santa Clara, CA

On 1/3/2011 9:44 AM, Lee Ritchey wrote:
> Dong,
> I have attached a PDS design program from Altera.  Notice that it does not
> include any ferrite beads.  same kind of thing is available from Xilinx.
>
> Yes, old applications notes from both Altera an Xilinx said to use ferrite
> beads.  This was never good advice and has finally been taken from their app
> notes, but not before may engineers got conned into using ferrite beads.
>
> Lee

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: