[SI-LIST] Re: adjacent power plane spacing with sensitive power nodes

  • From: Ignas Mikulevicius <mikulevi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:23:21 -0700

Thank you for the explanations, Istvan and Scott,
It makes sense, I'm surprised now that I haven't ever considered that up til
this point. Better late than never I guess. Is there any way to
quantitatively measure this effect? We probed the PLL and VCC supply pins
for the PCIe transceivers with a high speed scope on the FPGA vias on the
solder side of the board and were only seeing 40-50mv of peak-to-peak noise
on the 1.2V and 1.0V supplies, which would seem to be acceptable, given the
specification calls for +/- 5%. Is this a meaningful measurement? Perhaps it
is not accurately reflecting what the actual device is seeing?
On another note, if these PLL supply nodes were next to a ground plane
instead of a power plane, would we not be concerned with the same effect,
i.e. transient noise on the ground plane coupling into the node?
Ignas

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: