[SI-LIST] Re: adjacent power plane spacing with sensitive power nodes

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Ignas Mikulevicius <mikulevi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:48:50 -0400

Hi Ignas,

If you measure the 12V plane and find that it is sufficiently quiet,
then of course there is no problem
with strong coupling to other rails.  However, keep in mind that
'sufficiently quiet' means different
things on a 12V rail and a PLL supply rail.  On a 12V rail hundreds of
mV noise is usually not an
issue (just from the point of view of the 12V rail functioning
properly), but just a few mV noise
on a PLL supply could be a disaster.  So we have to ask ourselves: does
it make sense to bypass
the 12V rail so heavily that its noise is acceptable even for PLLs?
Technically we could do that,
but it may not be economical.

In this context the highest risk comes from the high-frequency burst
noise of DC-DC converters
getting out to the 12V rail. It is in the hundreds of MHz frequency
range today, and with vertically
aligned power planes the coupling in that frequency range can be very
strong.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems