[SI-LIST] a technique for injecting noise for troubleshooting

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:05:48 -0800

Hi All,

I just uploaded one of my longer Technical Tidbit articles. The title is:

Using Current Probes to Inject Pulses for Troubleshooting
(Current Probes, More Useful Than You Think - Part 2)

Abstract: A technique for using current probes to inductively couple pulses
into circuits for troubleshooting designs is described. Significant voltages
can be coupled in series with wires and cables.  Coupled pulses of several
tens of Volts are easy to achieve. This technique can be especially useful
introubleshooting ESD problems as well as other noise related problems in
designs.

I  basically show how to use a current probe in reverse to inject pulses
intowires and cables of systems and assemblies to find signal integrity and
immunity problems. Limitations and problems to avoid when doing this are
covered and several scope plots are presented.

The link to the article is the picture at the bottom of the page at:

http://emcesd.com[1]

Doug
\/ ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _ TEL/FAX:
408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 | q-----( ) | o |