[SI-LIST] Re: a question about the spacing differences between TX to TX distance and TX to RX distance

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhangjun5960@xxxxxxxxx>, "Richard Allred" <richard.allred@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:30:45 -0500 (EST)

There are two common definitions of FEXT and NEXT. One definition of FEXT
is that the aggressor signal goes in the same directions as the victim
signal, and NEXT the aggressor goes in the opposite of the victim signal.
IEEE 802.3 has a different definition of FEXT and NEXT.

In 802.3, an aggressor is FEXT if the Tx is on the same chip and the same
I/O buffer model as the victim Tx and the aggressor Rx is on the same chip
and the same I/O buffer model as the victim Rx. If an aggressor is not
FEXT, then it is NEXT. Therefor in 802.3 FEXT aggressors are generally
synchronous and have the same amplitude and equalization as their victims,
while NEXT aggressors can have significantly different magnitude, phase
and direction as their victims.

Walter