[SI-LIST] Re: Xilinx SpartanT-3/3E/3L FPGA Power Solutions-- FromMonolithic Solutions

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bharathi <bharathi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 03:45:13 -0800

How much efficiency you maintain over a wide range depends on how much
cost and real-estate you are willing to give up.  In order to improve
efficiency at the high current end you need to use more copper in your
magnetics, and lower loss semiconductors in your switch stage.  Lower
resistance MOSFETs have more gate charge that you will see as loss at
all loads.  If you are trying to handle a wide range of input voltages,
you will need larger magnetics than if you restrict the voltage range.

Steve
Bharathi wrote:
> Vivek,
>
> The efficient is not the same across varying loads. Only at some loads, the
> efficient is very high.  To achieve the efficiency need to have low ESR
> capacitors on the input and output. If you are interfacing this buck to the
> FPGA, I would look in the power supply sensitivity of the FPGA. The reason
> is the ripples on the buck output. The ripple amplitude depends on the
> components and layout.
> Hope this help
>
> Regards
> Bharathi
> Tessolve Services Pvt. Ltd
> 11/7, 10th Street, Dr VSI Estate
> Thiruvanmiyur
> Chennai 600041
> Tel: +91-44-43357111
> bharathi@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: