[SI-LIST] Wi-Fi EMI

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:39:45 -0700

I enjoy performing experiments and writing them up....so here goes again!

This month's Technical Tidbit on my site ( http://emcesd.com )
discusses EMI pickup by wireless LAN antennas. Significant voltages
can be delivered to the device connected to the antenna in response to
very small nearby ESD events such as jingling change. Equipment
malfunction seems possible as a result.

Abstract: ESD events between small pieces of metal, such as coins, at
low voltages produce intense EMI with bandwidths into the tens of
gigahertz. Response of a commercial Wi-Fi (802.11b) antenna to such
EMI is measured. The results provide insight into one kind of noise
Wi-Fi receivers are subjected to. The results also suggest that such
antennas might be used for ESD event location.

The article is linked by the picture of the experimental setup at the
bottom of the index page.

I am starting to add audio links to the site and eventually will have
a sound byte to go with each Technical Tidbit. The sound clips will be
in mp3 format and about 200kB each or less in size (about 2 minutes).
Currently there are 3 sound clips, 2 linked to my upcoming courses and
a greeting (can you find it?). There will be more to come.

In early October, I am participating in High Speed Week in San Jose.
Click on the "High Speed Week" logo on http://emcesd.com to get more
information.

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: