[SI-LIST] Re: Why shielded twisted-pair is still twisted?

  • From: "Jim Nadolny" <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Neo" <neoflash2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:06:34 -0400

The STP version is 30 AWG, the twinax is 26 AWG.  I'm not sure on the
dielectric constants.

STP cable has been tuned/tweaked and studied extensively for Ethernet
applications. The limitation tends to be in the connector and
termination areas.  Twinax construction has a shield/reference and you
have better impedance and crosstalk control in the termination area.
Plus it is a lot easier to keep the transition region short with a
twinax.

From a physics point of view, STP has periodic discontinuities which
result in higher structural return loss than a twinax.

you might find some of the work by Solarflare interesting

http://www.solarflare.com/technology/10GBASE-T_Solutions.php

jn

________________________________

        From: Neo <neoflash2008@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Why shielded twisted-pair is still
twisted?
        To: "Jim Nadolny" <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
        Cc: "List Si" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 11:41 PM

        Jim,
        I do appreciate your data based answer and comments. That's
really helpful.
        I'm wondering these days that how well can STP perform. As long
as it can be manufactured to be uniform along the cable, it should
perform well.
        However, STP should be more lossy than twin-ax since the twisted
wire increases the total copper length that the signal need to travel
through. Your data confirmed this hypothesis.
        Thanks,Neo
        Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 7:46 PM

        We make some HDMI cables with different cable types (STP and
twinax).
        It's a little surprising (to me anyway) how well the STP
assemblies
        perform.  Sure, there is more loss (return loss and insertion
loss) with
        the STP cable, and when the performance goes bad, it really goes
bad.
        But crosstalk is about the same and the STP price is lower than
twinax
        as it's a lot easier to manufacture.

        If you dig into the raw cable performance you see some marked
        differences, but at the assembly level some of those differences
fade
        due to the effects of the connector and termination.

        You can check out some cable assembly level test data on our
website if
        you are into it

http://www.samtec.com/Documents/WebFiles/testrpt/hsc-report_hplsp_web.pd

http://www.samtec.com/Documents/WebFiles/testrpt/hsc-report_HPSTP_web.pd