[SI-LIST] Re: Why return current is directly under the signal trace?

  • From: Doug Brooks <dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nithin-bharadwaj@xxxxxxx,"kbmanick@xxxxxxxxx" <kbmanick@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:50:08 -0700

With all due respect, this is not (at least directly) related to skin
effect at all.

But within the topic of skin effect, there are effects called the
"Proximity Effect": and the "Ground Effect." THESE effects are caused
by exactly the same phenomenon that causes the return path to be
directly on the plane directly underneath the trace: that is the
point of lowest mutual inductance.

The skin effect IS caused by inductance, but is not related to the
return current path,

I have a chapter on the skin effect in my forthcoming book  "PCB
Currents: How They Flow, How They React" (Prentice Hall) due out on
5/17/13. I will have a blurb on it posted on the UltraCAD web pages
by the end of the week.

Doug Brooks

Check out our resources at  http://www.ultracad.com

List forum  is accessible at: