[SI-LIST] Re: Why is capacitor with high ESR

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:30:22 -0800

Steve,
I think you can read my mind.

Zhangkun,

The devil is in the detail. I am almost certain you can construct case 6),
force your signals to reference the power planes and see magical improvement
using high ESR caps, thin core power/gnd plane etc etc. But that's just
academic unless you can show ground stitching in case 7) is worst than 6)
when the signal is properly referencing to ground only (with proper
decoupling on die).

You can always construct an ill-formed stack up and generate excessive noise
and justify any exotic solutions you need to fix it. So comparing 5,6 and 7
will be important.