[SI-LIST] Re: Why crosstalk calculation does not count into trace width?

  • From: =?big5?b?pEK9br1k?= <wfting@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:38:50 +0800

Allen,

I think Dr.Howard Johnson was trying to provide a qualitative description of
crosstalk behavior by giving that equation you mentioned.

I suggest you should take use of some field solver to find the crosstalk
coefficients if you want to estimate the crosstalk noise more accurately. You
will find the crosstalk dependencies on trace width then.

According to my calculations, the narrower trace width (higher Z0) will have
slightly larger crosstalk coefficients than wider one (suppose same dielectric
height) with the same air gap.

RGS,

Steve Ting

Dear all:

It's me again. Thanks Steve first to provide us good explanation of our = last
question....

We then come out another one that in crosstalk calculation, why the = trace
width does not be counted in.. For example, in Dr. Howard Johnson's first book
page 192, there wrote: Crosstalk ~ K / (1 + (D/H)*(D/H)), where D: distance
between two traces = center to center. H: height above the reference plane

In real application, a pattern of 4.5/15 (trace width 4.5 and space 15) = will
really have larger crosstalk than 5/15? (say the H is 4.1mil)

Best regards!

Allen Wang
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
RD8- server centric division