[SI-LIST] Re: Why Thumb rule 40 mils takes 1A

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vijay Anand <vijayanand.ganesan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 04:40:52 -0800

It depends on:

Acceptable temperature rise.
Acceptable absolute temperature.

Both of those values feed from your expected product life time.  If the
product only has a 90 day warranty and your customers have low
reliability expectations, then your first concern will only be
preventing a fire.  The ancient temperature rise versus track width /
weight charts are still published by the IPC.  You can probably also
find them online for free.

Steve.
Vijay Anand wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have a Giga POE signals which is routed on 4 width, 5.5 space and 1.8 mil
> thickness.  I have loaded up to 1A in that lines. Initially I thought the
> track will damage  (since the thumb rules says 40 mils takes 1A) but it
> didn't happen the way I thought.    My doubt is what is the actual current
> carrying capacity for 40 mil and 4 mil?  Is there is any rule on the track
> width for the PHY signals which has POE.
>
> Please share your experience.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Vijay

> List technical documents are available at: