[SI-LIST] Why Thumb rule 40 mils takes 1A

  • From: "Vijay Anand" <vijayanand.ganesan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 17:48:15 +0530

Dear All,
I have a Giga POE signals which is routed on 4 width, 5.5 space and 1.8 mil
thickness.  I have loaded up to 1A in that lines. Initially I thought the
track will damage  (since the thumb rules says 40 mils takes 1A) but it
didn't happen the way I thought.    My doubt is what is the actual current
carrying capacity for 40 mil and 4 mil?  Is there is any rule on the track
width for the PHY signals which has POE.

Please share your experience.

Thanks and Regards,

Vijay

List technical documents are available at: