[SI-LIST] Re: Why Termination at Both End ?

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>, alfred1520list <alfred1520list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:44:41 -0700 (PDT)

Could be a new thread.....It is important to simulate and fully understand the
potential design issue that even a simple clock net can produce.  Suppose one
has to transmit a 2Ghz clock from driver to receiver.  Rough 1/4 wavelength is
1000mils.  So one might design around this length and place a design constraint
of say 1500mils to 2500mils for this net (3000mils would be a no no in this
scenario).  Good place to start but make sure to include the parasitics of the
driver and receiver since these "filters" will have a big effect on your design
constraints.  I have seen a customer case very similar where the design was
targeted for 2500mils only to find in the lab and subsequently simulations that
the parasitics shifted the 1/4 wavelength (odd multiple) right into this design
constraint basically killing the clock at the receiver.

-Jory

Alfred,

I expect the driver to source the max. possible current for the entire
duration of the clock's high pulse and sink the same for the duration of
the low pulse. At the edges I expect it to change from say 45 to -45mA
or vice versa.
The max. possible current is probably somewhat lower (~37mA) in your
case if the clock driver impedance is say 7 ohm or so.

Thanks,
Vinu

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net