[SI-LIST] Re: Why 50 ohms

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'siman_74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <siman_74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:40:16 -0500

Mani,

There is actually a few reasons why we use 50ohms (depending on which camp
your from).  2 of which can be found in EDN magazine (Sept. 14, 2000 pg.30
and Jan 4, 2001 pg.28)   One of the most widely known reasons is due to the
relationship between maximum power and minimum attenuation.  You see in an
air filled coaxial line minimum attenuation occurs at an impedance of
77ohms, while maximum power occurs at an impedance of 30ohms.  So, 50ohms is
a compromise between these 2 values.

Regards,

Craig