[SI-LIST] Re: Why 50 ohms

  • From: Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxx
  • To: siman_74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:24:45 -0600

Mani--
PCB impedances are usually determined to closely match the output impedance
of a signal driver.  This eliminates reflections from occurring and
distorting the transmitted signal.

Also, typical PCB trace widths and dielectric heights will give you a 50-ohm
line fairly easily, since impedance is a function of trace geometry.

The 27 ohms for RAMBUS is kind of a random one, and mostly had to do with
the fact the driver was much different than normal signal drivers.

Good question!

--Pat